Thursday, February 17, 2011

Yamla Pagla Deewana!! Sarcastic takes on Punjabi NRI Fad & Rural Punjab

I had never thought I would watch this flick which sounded so crass from it's name itself. Though I have always been a fan of Dharam Ji & Sunny, I have given a skip to many of their bollywood massalas.

Surprisingly I am writing something about it. Well, I found it ridiculous overall but intelligently sarcastic in many places.

The sarcasm starts with the very beginning, you see an NRI Sikh who is apparently a lot religious as compared with the crook father & brother who are living in India. A paradox so correctly portrayed, though many may just miss it in the overall madness of this stupid comedy.

The political scene depicted in the film clearly shows that the scriptwriter understands Punjab really well, the core of Punjab to date remains illiterate and dominated by money-rich, power-hungry politicians who have no idea how a modern state needs to be given shape.

Certain characters like 'Bholi' represent the average Punjabi girl who is dreaming of marrying an NRI ever since she's been born.

The end is a Rip off from the Classic 'Andaz Apna Apna' with a Punjabi Bend. Overall a fair one time watch if you ignore the tiring length and a few boring scenes in between the Hilarious jokes & sarcastic takes.

After watching the film I did feel like having a conversation with the scriptwriter & finding out if the sarcasm that I felt was intended indeed?

No comments: